Carbon Monoxide Awareness

CO is a colourless, odorless gas that is poisonous to those who are exposed to it.

Functional CO detectors can sense the gas before it has the opportunity to affect you and your family. Due to the nature of CO, the symptoms of exposure are subtle, but these are some conditions to look out for:

-headache
-dizziness
-drowsiness
-nausea
– loss of consciousness

Regularly monitoring your smoke detector batteries will ensure the detector is working properly and can alert you before you start to feel sick.

In order to prevent that detector from going on in the first place, remember some of these simple tips to maintain your home and keep that CO out!

-Check venting from all appliances to ensure it is free and clear.
-Prior to the winter months, have your gas appliances and chimneys inspected.
-Do not run your vehicle inside your garage, even with the doors open.
-Check that you have a clear blue flame burning on fuel-burning appliances.

Keep these tips in mind and have a safe and happy winter season!